New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians
Scherbaum, Adolf (b. Eger, 23 Aug 1909). German trumpeter of Austrian birth. He studied at the Prague Conservatory from 1923 to 1929, and then obtained his first professional position in a spa orchestra in Moravia. In 1929 he was appointed First trumpeter in the orchestra of the Brno Opera, and subsequently became principal trumpet in orchestras in Prague (1939-41), Berlin (1941-45), Bratislava (1946-51) and Hamburg (1951-66). In 1966 he was appointed professor at the Musikschule in Saarbrücken.
Scherbaum was already well known as a soloist before World War II.
By rigorous training he developed unusually strong diaphragm and cheek muscles for sustained playing in the high register.
Thus equipped, he played a leading part in the European revival of the trumpet as a solo instrument in Baroque music, and he was first to use a piccolo Bb trumpet for D trumpet parts. He has toured throughout the world as a soloist and with his own Baroque ensemble, and has made many gramophone records, including several of Bach's Brandenburg Concerto no. 2 (which he has performed more than 400 times). In 1971, with the firm of Scherbaum & Göttner, he started making trumpets with detachable bells, and and mouthpieces in three parts, to allow great flexibility of timbre and pitch.
Edward H. Tarr